As a health care facility, River East Physiotherapy has always taken precautions to prevent spreading infections - such as by sanitizing frequently touched surfaces, diligent hand washing and providing clean linens. In fact, as regulated health professionals, we are required to follow guidelines by the College of Physiotherapists of Manitoba to prevent the spread of infection and to ensure a safe environment for treating patients. Here are some examples of what we do:
- Our staff wear personal protective equipment, as required by the provincial government. This includes medical masks and eye protection.
- Everyone in the clinic - including staff and clients - answers the provincial COVID-19 screening tool questions before their appointment, and again upon arrival. That means there's a low risk of anyone with COVID-19 being in the clinic.
- All staff are required wash their hands (as per government hand hygiene guidelines) between each client contact, at minimum.
- All linens are washed after each use.
- We sanitize frequently touched surfaces with government-approved disinfectants (we use the EPA list of disinfectants approved for use against COVID-19 and the Government of Manitoba list of Facility Approved Disinfectants). Surfaces used by patients, such as treatment beds or bells, are wiped down after each use. Other frequently touched surfaces, such as countertops and door handles, are wiped down at least three times a day.
- Patient treatment rooms are sanitized after each patient.
- Any equipment used by patients is sanitized after each use.
- We've gone paperless as much as possible. For instance, patients are now asked to fill out intake forms online before their appointment. We can also send your customized exercise program, including photos and videos, directly to your email.
Given recent public health recommendations regarding COVID-19, we are also engaging our patients to further help reduce the risk of spreading this disease. For all patients, we request that you:
- Wear a mask to your in-person appointments. Ensure the mask covers your nose, mouth, and chin. If you don't have a mask, you can buy one from us.
- Wash your hands when you arrive at the clinic.
- Answer honestly when our staff ask you the questions from the COVID-19 screening tool. This helps us ensure all people in our clinic are low risk for transmitting COVID-19.
- Practice physical distancing – stay 2 meters / 6 feet from everyone in the clinic, except your therapist and therapy assistant.
- Arrive exactly on time for your appointment, and wait in your car if you arrive early. This prevents any crowding in our waiting room.
- Please do not bring anyone else to your appointment. This includes friends, family and particularly children. If you must bring an adult guest with you, they must complete the screening questions too.
- Tell us if there's anything we can do to make you feel more comfortable!
These measures align with the Province of Manitoba's COVID-19 guidelines and directions. We will continue to monitor these public health guidelines and adapt our practices accordingly.