Neurological Rehab Classes
Group Classes for Neurological Rehabilitation
NEW! Starting October 26, 2023, we are offering group classes for people living with neurological conditions.
All classes are designed and led by physiotherapist Dana Bubenko.
Classes will be Thursdays, from 11 am to 12 pm, at our 1204 Rothesay location.
Before starting classes, each participant will do an initial assessment with a physiotherapist, to:
- Make sure neurological rehab classes are the right fit for them, given their unique condition and goals
- Help them customize group classes to their goals, so they get the most out of the group experience.
Conditions That Are Right for Classes
Classes are designed to treat the following neurological conditions:
- Post-stroke conditions,
- Acquired Brain Injury,
- Parkinson's Disease,
- Progressive Supranuclear Palsy, and
- Other degenerative brain diagnoses, specifically those involving degeneration of the cerebellum or basal ganglia.
Further, to participate in classes clients need to be able to:
- Stand and
- Have at least some ability to walk - even if that means they use a walker or need one person to assist them.
Conditions - Not A Good Fit For Classes
Group rehab classes are likely not right for people:
- Living with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) or Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS).
- Who cannot stand or walk.
We can still help you if you have MS or ALS, or if you cannot stand or walk. You will likely benefit from a different approach to exercise and physiotherapy than we teach in group classes.
To get started, call us to book a one-on-one neurological assessment with a physiotherapist. Or call us to book a FREE 15-minute phone consultation with a physiotherapist to make sure physiotherapy is right for you.
What We Do in Classes
Neurological Rehab Group Classes help participants move better. Usually people living with neurological conditions care most about walking and moving around their day-to-day life as normally as possible. We help with that!
In group classes:
- We'll do stretching, strengthening, and balance exercises.
- We work on everyday movements - such as walking and standing up from a chair.
- Everyone will be doing the same type of exercise and training, as a group. BUT the physiotherapist will tailor exercises to each individual - making them easier or harder according to each person's needs.
- Participants will receive handouts of exercises to do safely at home.
Group classes are significantly lower cost than one-on-one treatment sessions with a physiotherapist.
Call us at 204-982-9195 for our current rates for group classes with a physiotherapist.
Since the Government of Manitoba pays for very minimal neurological rehabilitation, our classes help people access the medical rehabilitation they need.
Check back here soon for more information! Or call us at 204-982-9195 to speak to our physiotherapist Dana Bubenko to discuss whether neurological rehab group classes would be right for you or someone you know.