Knee Osteoarthritis Classes
Knee osteoarthritis can cause pain and keep you from doing what you love. Nearly all osteoarthritis can benefit from movement & exercise. Severe knee osteoarthritis may require knee replacement surgery or other forms of medical management.
To get you back to your active lifestyle, we currently offer small group knee classes at our Rothesay location. These classes are an affordable option for:
- Post-operation - Our guided rehabilitation can improve outcomes after knee replacement surgery.
- Pre-operation - Knee replacement pre-habilitation has been shown to improve the outcomes of knee surgery.
- Prevention - Regular exercise therapy for people with knee osteoarthritis can potentially prevent the need for a knee replacement altogether.
Dates: Classes are held on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 11:30 to 12:30. Patients can expect to attend twice weekly for 4-8 weeks depending on how quickly they progress.
Costs: Knee classes are designed to be an affordable option for patients as they cost a fraction of the cost of a regular follow-up appointment. Patients are required to attend a one-time assessment to acquire health information, establish a baseline and understand their personal goals. Following assessment, class sessions are available at a reduced rate.
What to expect: Knee classes involve timed exercise stations which are tailored to your needs. Exercises aim to restore normal range of motion, strength, balance and function.
Everybody regains their range of motion at a different rate. For this reason your range of motion will be measured each class so we can monitor how you are progressing.
We will also provide each patient with hands-on treatment which can speed progress along. Ice is often used at the end of each class to help with pain control.
Knee classes provide a great opportunity to socialize with other patients who have had their knee replaced as well as motivate each other through the rehab process. There will be up to six people attending each class.
When to start knee classes:
- If you have had a knee replacement surgery, you are welcome to start classes once your staples have been removed.
- If you are awaiting a knee replacement, we encourage you to join well before your operation, to allow ample time to build the strength you will need to recover optimally.
- If you have knee osteoarthritis and would like to improve your movement, reduce your pain, and prevent the need for a knee replacement, you are welcome to join us at any time after your assessment.
If you have any questions or would like to sign up for knee classes you can contact us at 204-982-9195.